MeetUp Group visits the 17th century in East Providence

Sowams Heritage Area Coordinator Dr. David Weed organized a session of the 17th Century Rhode Island MeetUp Group at three locations in East Providence, the site of the first colonial settlement in the area, on April 14, 2019.

Dr. David Weed (in the blue shirt) points to the oldest grave marker in the Newman Church Cemetery, that of William Carpenter, one of the original settlers from Weymouth, MA, who died in 1660.

Dr. Weed describes the history of the Newman Church that was first organized in 1643 and constructed at the center of the Ring of the Green with house lots surrounding it on a common area.

Historian Marc Kohler offers a brief history of Roger Williams in front of the spring that marks the site of his first settlement after being banished from Salem, MA, where he had served as the minister. Click here for a ten-minute video of some of Marc’s remarks.

East Providence Historical Society Co-President Nancy Moore talks about the 1751 John Hunt House and points to a Hunt family grave stone from the Newman Cemetery that was found lying on the ground by a DPW worker 40 years ago and subsequently moved to the Hunt House parlor. Click here for a five-minute video of the house tour.

East Providence Conservation Commission Vice-Chair Ernie Germani points out carvings in the rocks along the Ten-Mile River and the location where the first mill was constructed in 1645.