The Massasoit Spring named by the Rhode Island Citizens Historical Association and the Algonquin Indian Association in 1926, is located at the upper end of Rumstick Point in Barrington. A “Scamscammuck Spring” is mentioned in Bicknell’s 1898 History of Barrington Rhode Island and in his 1903 book, Sowams, in which he states that it is “the largest and most copious spring in Bristol county and one of the largest in the Wampanoag country. It is believed that Massasoit, while at peace with the Narragansetts, had his principal village near this spring. . .[p. 194]”
Chachapacassett Road delineates the northern edge of Rumstick Neck. Chachapacasset was the Pokanoket name for the area that includes Adams and Rumstick Points. It means, according to Thomas W. Bicknell in his History of Barrington (1898), “At or near the great widening.” Called Little Neck by early white settlers, it was first referred to as “Rumstick” in land records in 1698.
A large stone, part of a wall at the corner of Rumstick and Chachapacassett Roads, is adorned with a crude depiction of a pair of American Aborigines kneeling beside a barrel, out of which jut two sticks. At center top are the words “Rumstick Point.” This curious artifact dates from around 1880 when Abbie Fessenden, who lived at nearby 153 Rumstick Road, painted it.
The Scamscammuck Spring used to run east into Smith’s Cove on the Warren River.