While the New Palmer River Iron Forge was established in Rehoboth by 1722, and though there’s no documentation, it’s quite likely that earlier forges were operating prior to 1700. Forges used bog ore found in local swamps to manufacture needed metal tools and implements for the growing population in the Sowans Heritage Area. The iron forge established here by 1722 was probably a refinery for the shipbuilding trade in Swansea. It was equipped with the necessary helve hammers, anvils, coal or coke crucibles, and bellows. One of the owners, Robert Carr, was a Swansea shipwright, and the other owners were blacksmiths and builders. In later years, cart wheels were made at the iron works, and numerous wheel hoops were reported found years later when the business was dismantled in 1759.