Members of the Sowams Project Steering Committee and their invited guests gathered at the Carpenter Museum in Rehoboth on December 19, 2023 in order to celebrate their accomplishments and to look forward to next year’s plans.
Included among the many milestones was:
- The creation of a Project logo by artist Mary Dondero;
- The full funding of the consultant team;
- The expansion of the Project boundary to include the Town of Somerset, MA;
- The implementation of a Project outreach strategy;
- The addition of four new Steering Committee members including John Larsen, Somerset Historical Society; Bill Napolitano of the Taunton River Watershed Alliance; Silas Pinto, Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging for the City of Providence; and Diane Williamson, Director of Community Development for the Town of Bristol;
- And, the planning and holding the first two Community Conversations for the public.
The New Year will see two more Community Conversation sessions, active work by three newly-established committees, and completion of the feasibility study. Acceptance of that study by the National Park Service will position ourselves to approach Congress for full authorization.