The Newman Congregational Church was founded in 1643 when a group followed Rev. John Newman from Weymouth, MA to settle on the east bank of the Seekonk River. A 375th Anniversary celebration held on November 4, 2018 included a lecture event prior to a musical presentation. Click here for the video of the lecture.
This is the fourth building that the church members have built since its founding, the first one having been constructed in 1645 across the street from the present location in the center of what was called “The Ring of the Green”, a circle of house lots the back of which each connected with the Seekonk River, the Ten-Mile River or one of the many streams in the area at at that time and the front of which faced on a common lot.
Minister of Music Goeffrey Greene welcomed over fifty people to the gathering to hear author and historian Linda Coombs of the Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head and two other distinguished speakers.
The audience listens intently to Rebecca Smith, President of the Rehoboth Antiquarian Society as she relates the history of the Town of Rehoboth which eventually split off into Seekonk and then East Providence.
Church members and others listen to the final speaker, Nancy Godfray, artist and member of the Newman Church Historical Committee, as she relates the history of the Church from its inception to the present day.