A monument to the Massasoit (Ousamequin), Chief of the Pokanoket tribe in the 17th century until 1661, sits at the end of Baker Street in Warren, the site of one of the reputed aboriginal villages. The street was named for Virginia Baker, school teacher and local historian who lived next to the spring in the early 20th century and who wrote extensively about the Massasoit and early Warren.
The boulder was taken from the farm of first permanent settler Hugh Cole. The stone marker appears in a postcard photo soon after it was installed and was dedicated by Virginia Baker on October 19, 1907.
When the monument was first installed, water gushed from the spring, but today it is dry.
An American Aborigine memorial tot lot sits across from the spring on Baker Street
A Warren Conservation Commission pocket park sits at the end of Baker Street. Maxwell House and the Massasoit Historical Society is located one block south.
In 1888, the Warren Town Hall was completed and included a frieze above the front door citing Sowams and the 1621 visit of Edward Winslow to Massasoit’s home, then thought to be Warren.