The 17th Century Rhode Island MeetUp group met at the Martin House on August 26th for a tour conducted by student volunteer docents followed by a stop at the Myles Garrison Marker nearby. Click here for a 47-minute video of the tour.
The Martin Farmhouse on Stoney Hill Road and Route 6 in Swansea, MA, dates to 1728, but it is quite likely that a house was constructed on the site prior to 1700. The site is owned and operated by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America.
Docent Haley Correia welcomes members of the 17th Century Rhode Island MeetUp group to the house.
While there are some furnishings that were original to the house, the King Philip Chair is a replica of one now at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. It is allegedly the chair that King Philip sat in while warning colonist Hugh Cole, with whom he was friendly, to leave his home at “Riverby” before it burned at the start of the war in 1675.
Docent Ashley Reynolds demonstrates the use of a loom similar to those used at the time while Kathrnye Soper describes some of the furnishing in the parlor.
MeetUp Group organizer and Providence College professor Doug Blum examines some of the armor used at the time as well as a copy of the original deed to the house.