Established in 1691, the Bridgewater Iron Works at the village known as Stanley was the first to produce iron in the American colonies. By 1860 it had become the second largest producer of iron in the U.S. It was purchased in 1899 by the Stanley Black & Decker Company, formerly known as The Stanley Works, which began as a Fortune 500 American manufacturer of industrial tools and household hardware and provider of security products now headquartered in the greater Hartford city of New Britain, Connecticut/. A peaceful oasis with waterfalls and a babbling brook can be seen at the Park. Rich in history, with a prominent role in the industrialization of our country, Iron Works Park is within walking distance of Bridgewater Center. The industrial history of the site began in 1694, when David Perkins was granted permission to construct a dam across the Town River by the colonial government of Massachusetts. By 1707, Perkins had established a blacksmith shop at the site. In 1988, the site was abandoned and the land donated to the town of Bridgewater. Iron Works became one of the six parklands in 1996. Click on the map for a larger view, and click here for directions and more history of the area. Click here for a 45-second video of the Park.